I went to a Facebook Marketing Meetup in Medellin held by Chris Erthel and these are a copy of my notes.
Supermetrics.com – Report all data in one place
Revealbot.com – Very automated rules.
Direct Response Ads
Dynamic Product Ads – Retargets specific products. Need to upload product feed. Use DPA logic to find new traffic.
Conversions vs Value vs Traffic: Value is new.
Ecommerce Shop Message: *99% open rate. Similar to Abandoned Cart feature but via Messenger.
- Look Alike Audiences: Between 1% to 5% up to 10%
- Ask questions in ads: Which one is your favorite belt?
- Perfect audience of 280k people. High frequency high budget. After 2-3 days.
- Be humble and accept that machine knows better than they do. Target broad.
- FB can optimize by 10 euros per day. Never more than 500 in an ad set.
- Smallest LAL audience to start: Need 100 to work. I advise 300.
- Not allowed to target FB Groups, but algorithm takes it into consideration.
- How many conversions to understand? 2-3 days for $10 budget per day.
- FB asks what do you want? Purchase is not best. Or app install. Best answer is View Content. Because advantage of having more data outweighs limited data of purchases.
- FB says they need 25 data points per week for algorithm to work. (Reduced from 30 per day.)
- 40% traffic leaves after 3 seconds of page load time.
- Optimize for pure CPM.
- Deduping = Makes it now impossible to bid against your own ads so you're not driving price up.
Growth Strategy Full Funnel
1) Brand Awareness: “We wish you a happy summer.” Leads to website. (Tuesday)
2) Consideration: Mix of brand awareness and conversions. (Friday)
3) Conversion: 80% off. (Saturday)
Chris's Example Funnel
1) Branding (Cheapest Leads)
2) Direct Response
3) Retargeting 1-2 days
4) Retargeting 3-4 days
5) Retargeting 5-6 days
6) Retargeting Bigger Discount 6-8 days
- Recommends Reading: https://www.jonloomer.com/2017/03/30/basic-evergreen-facebook-ad-campaign/
- Chris never wants Most Video Views. He goes for Sales Conversions. High CPM is happy because it brings good conversion rate.
- If you create ads with many ad sets, you won't have much social proof. Therefore create post and use existing post.
Types of Ad Placement and Average CPM
- Desktop News Feed – $8
- Mobile News Feed. – $2
- Messenger – $2 – Small traffic. Big ROI.
- IG Stories – $1.4
- Right Column (Sidebar) – People say it doesn't work. It works best for Chris for retargeting people on desktop.
- Audience Network – Never use this.
- Instant Articles $2.1 – Currently best ROI. Limited traffic.
- Minimum 20 ad sets per country.
- Easily 200 ad sets. Design ads special for each placement.
- Right Column doesn't work because they use same pictures.
- Create Different Ad Sets for: Text. Images. Audiences.
- Manage with Excel or Google Spreadsheet
- Use Numbers in Ad Sets to reference your spreadsheet (ie: 0177)
- ROAD = Return On Ad Spend
- You can add up to 110 columns. Customize to columns that work best for you.
- Use long name Ad Sets to see what's inside. (ie: USA Male 24-45 Travelers.) Then copy paste into new ad sets and change info.
When To Use Different Ad Types
1) Branding: Use Mobile News Feed and Stories.
2) Retargeting: Use Desktop and Right Column and all the rest.
A/B Testing With Structure
Facebook Ad Project
Chris is involved in this organization and helps with the FB marketing.
ShareTheMeal App – 50 cents buys kid breakfast lunch dinner
Recommended Courses on Facebook Ads
Jon Loomer (PAID) – https://www.jonloomer.com/
Facebook Blueprint (FREE) – https://www.facebook.com/blueprint